This is absolute heaven for me as it contains pure cocoa powder in a fairly large quantity, pure cane syrup and single cream with a pinch of Colombian coffee granules.
It is an indulgent dessert but, providing you do not eat vast quantities of it, it should not have a great impact on your waistline.
Moreover, the pure cocoa will bring the extra benefit of magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, phosphorous and calcium. The cream will also bring calcium.
These minerals will certainly add to the feel good factor, and not simply because cocoa powder in an anti depressant!
Very easy to make in the sorbet/ice-cream maker, the ingredients are pure and simple and the taste is of dark chocolate, not milky indeterminate chocolaty ice-cream.
Makes 500ml ice-cream:
- 3 heaped tablespoons unsweetened pure cocoa powder ( Van Houten)
- 1 teaspoon Colombian coffee granules
- 100ml pure sugar cane syrup
- 100ml fresh single cream
- Dissolve the cocoa in 200ml hot water, add the coffee and whisk.
- Let it cool then place in the fridge for 2hours.
- Add the cream and the syrup, whisk again and pour the mixture into the ice-cream maker.
- Serve immediately with soft amaretti biscuits and an expresso.
Tip: Using single cream makes the texture of the ice-cream a little harder, so if you prefer it very smooth, use the double cream instead.