It is February and the days are still very cold. What could be better than an exotic salad to escape from Winter?
So, here is a simple and warming salad. If it sounds odd to say it is warming and not cooling it is because of the chillies which flavour the olive oil and of the ginger in the marinade.
The added bonus of this salad is that you can easily reach the target of 5-a-Day in one swoop.
It is not only tasty, it is also pleasing to the eye.
The mixed flavours are sufficient by themselves and I do not use any salt or pepper but this seasoning can be added, if you wish.
First, try to find some green mangoes. If you only find the other variety, choose them not too ripe.
Then some ripe papayas and avocadoes.
Tip: A day or 2 before making the salad, put 6 or 7 chillies in a litre of olive oil.
This preparation will be useful for other dishes either to drizzle or to make a dressing.
2 ripe papayas
2 green mangoes
2 ripe avocadoes
Juice of 3 limes
Some fresh ginger, peeled and grated *
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
3 large gherkins, cut into tiny pieces
A handful of coriander leaves, rinsed and finely chopped
1. In a large salad bowl prepare a marinade with the lime juice, the grated ginger, the gherkins,the crushed garlic and the chopped coriander.
2. Peel the avocadoes and cut the flesh into cubes. Toss into the marinade.
3. Do the same with the papayas and the mangoes.
4. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss delicately.
5. Place the salad in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Serve with accras ( see previous post) or any cold meat.
Tip: The easiest way to peel ginger is to use a spoon and scrape the skin with the edge of the spoon.