This easy starter can become a pleasing sauce if you thicken it a little.
It will go very well on grilled steak, gammon, chicken or fish. It will also be delicious in lasagne.
You can also use Portobello mushrooms.
500g button mushrooms, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled
50g unsalted butter or slightly salted butter, in which case you use less salt
2 tablespoons corn flour
1 big tin unsweetened condensed milk (i.e.Carnation)
A handful of flat leaf parsley
1 vegetable cube
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and toss the mushrooms in it for 5 minutes over a low heat.
2. Whizz the mushrooms in a food blender with the garlic and the parsley. Reserve.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the cornflour slowly, stirring all the time. Pour the milk gradually, making sure to avoid lumps forming. (If they do, pour the mixture in the blender and this will get rid of the lumps).
4. Dissolve the vegetable cube in a little hot water and pour into the saucepan.
5. Finally, add the mushroom mixture, stirring well and heat over a low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Serve immediately.